As you'll see if you just go back a few posts in my blog, this used to be a dual trunk tree. I literally came home one day to find the entire 2nd trunk with all withered leave in a days time. No suffering from lack of water or from too much - it just decided to go on it's way.. Well I cleaned it out and trimmed out the roots that had fed it. I could find nothing outstandingly wrong (no bugs, no dry roots and no old clays as I'd bare-rooted this tree long ago..). Sometimes.. Nature happens and that is ok and part of what we celebrate with Bonsai. :)
So here are a few pictures of it now. The trunk hollow is a bit bright as I did just apply lime to help protect the wood some and help give it that aged look. 2-3 weeks in the elements and it will look much more naturally blended.
Bit more trimming of the upper branches, and will pull things down a bit more next season. A few guy wires are already in place.
The back where the other trunk was - carved away and left for now. I plan to drill into it and connect this end with the main trunk opening to allow for a view through, and to help with water drainage out of the hollow.
View up the hollow.
Trimming aggressive growth to fill out the back side, and laying the foundation for future ramification.
This neat brick pot was made one evening a few years ago (08 or 09) during a pot creation evening with my best friend Aaron. It's thick, and was made to resemble a aged brick wall where many bricks had fallen out of the cement holding them in. I call it my 'aggressive starter pot'. It will receive a new renter soon as this tree moves into something a little more shallow next springtime.